Scribin', scribin', scribin'!



I am a life long learner.  I love to learn and love to grow as an educator, horsewoman, and rider.  I have my Wisconsin Horse Council Judge's Card, but I really feel as though I need more experiences to be a fair judge, so I have opted to decline paid requests and focus on Jr. Judging for the time being.  This decision has given me the opportunity to develop me eye and increase my speed in the show pen (no one likes to wait on a slow judge...and that I am right now!).  

Another way I'm educating myself is working as a scribe for Dressage and Western Dressage Shows. While I currently don't make any money doing this, I've heard from some that you can earn money this way.  At this point, it's about education and moving toward my long term goal of passing my North American Western Dressage Judge Licensing .  

The actual work of a scribe is relatively easy to learn but does take some practice.  You do have to have the ability to concentrate and sit quietly for long periods of time; which, I'll admit, can be a challenge for me.   Being organized is an important factor as well!  Before I started some formal training as a scribe, I spent some time reviewing the information available on the USDF. I also reviewed this fun "day in the life" description found on SmartPak (I love them.  No, they don't pay me for this endorsement, but seriously, they are great) to give myself an idea of what to expect.  Since I already had my judge's card when I started doing this, I sort of had an idea, but a little pre-research never hurts anyone!   And, I love the Confessions of a Dressage Scribe post here. Heather offers some tips for the first time scribe AND totally conveyed what I felt the first time I scribed.  

If you're looking for a little humor regarding working as a scribe, there is a fun post in Reddit, which had me laughing hysterically in my office for a good five minutes.  They were discussing some of the things that judges might say that don't make it into the commentary and I immediately remember the time I was at a show and the judge said, "Oh shit.  That person needs to leave that damn horse alone!" My face was highly visible to the rider and I needed to work hard to keep my desire to laugh to myself! 

So, tell me this:  Have you ever scribed and if so, what was the funniest thing you heard a judge say? 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DIY for the equestrian

Frick on a stick!

This and that