The wanna be dressage rider


As an equestrian, (ami at best) I've dabbled in a lot of things.  Trail riding.  Gaming.  Western pleasure.  4-H.  Obstacle courses.  It's been a pretty big variety for someone who (a) doesn't show in any breed shows, (b) isn't anywhere remotely near an equine professional, and (c) has a vast periods of life which didn't include horses.    I've been back in the horse world for nearly 6 years and now that I'm back and trying to carve out my niche, I've found there are a few topics I've become somewhat obsessed with.  I'll spend some time writing about these from time to time but I'll never really devote a ton of time to ALL of them.

Today, however, I'd like to share my Dressage (and Western Dressage) aspirations with you.  These two disciplines (linked as they are, they are still separate) have captured my attention for a long enough period of time they are the disciplines I tend to hold affinity with. I've tried to figure out what it is about each which I love so much.  I think it is the systematic nature of it.  There are stages to work through before progressing on to the next, which makes things pretty clear cut and concrete for someone like me who tends to wander a bit.  

I appreciate that regardless of what other disciplines I ride, there is SOMETHING from traditional Dressage or Western Dressage which I can carry fourth in that other discipline.  I love the fact, that someone like me, who tends to get "stage fright" when it comes to horses and leaving my house has the opportunity to still show in programs like this.

And, above all, I love the WRITTEN feedback I have the opportunity to receive so that I may continue to improve my horsemanship and my horse's skills.  For me, competition is not about beating someone other than myself (thus part of why I failed at team sports).  Competition is about learning and growing.  It's about getting better and being able to show off that hard work my horse and I have put in (granted, in my case, I tend to prefer to only show the judge--not a crowd of horse people silently judging me).

Virtual shows are a great way to have the opportunity to have my test recorded and submitted to the judge. For someone like me, who tends to get stage fright, this seems like a really good way to try My hand it showing without becoming nervous because of the crowd. I can find other ways to get my horse out with other horses, for instance, those trail rides that I like to go on!

Have you participated in virtual shows?  Do you like them?  Why or why not?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DIY for the equestrian

Frick on a stick!

This and that